Monday, September 7, 2015

Being Mortal


During my weekly trek to the library, I checked out this DVD.  Last night I watched it with my daughter. She left in the middle, as she said it was too sad. I didn't think it was particularly sad, but perhaps I'm a little more used to these kind of shows. It was interesting to hear doctor's perspectives on how they address end of life conversations with their patients. From what this doc says, it's not a conversation that they are particularly comfortable with. They are trained to save, not surrender.

I have added Dr. Atul Gawande's book Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End to my read list.

Have you read any good books lately?

3 comments:

  1. Okay, I'll go. I just finished "Ready Player One." I am not a gamer, but I am a child of the 80's. I really enjoyed it and can't wait to see the film.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just read a great book, Blue Karma by JK Ullrich. It addressed climate change, but in a character-driven, action-packed way, not a textbook way. That sounds like an interesting documentary.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I definitely recommend it. Thanks for commenting!

      Delete

Comments are welcome and appreciated!