Monday, July 22, 2013

Mayborn Conference

So, this happened.  Second place in the manuscript competition!

What a weekend.  As someone said during the Mayborn, "it's like a spa for writers."  While I didn't get a massage or a pedicure, I was totally immersed in passion, knowledge, and story.  There were so many kick-ass writers there that it was almost overwhelming.  Among them were a few people who helped me on my writing journey.  I felt like Dorothy from the Wizard of Oz--and you were there, and you, and even you!. There was Patsy Sims, the director at Goucher.  I remember getting the call from her that I'd been accepted into the program.  I was a little thrilled.  Tom French was there.  He was my mentor when I traveled to death row and met Khristian Oliver.  Margaret Luevano was also there.  She was a classmate at Goucher and the day after the execution, I drove back to Austin and she met with me at a little outdoor cafe where I proceeded to cry and make everyone around us probably very uncomfortable.

So, in addition to all that, I got a wee little excerpt from "Death Becomes Us" published today.  You can read it here.  

And there was something else, but I can't really talk about it yet.  So, now I'm done tooting my own horn. Life will proceed as usual. 


8 comments:

  1. Oooh, a cliffhanger! I hope it's really great news. You deserve it. Sounds like Mayborn was awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Huge congratulations Pam! Can't wait to hear the rest of the news. HelenF (DFWWW)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds good (even if I don't understand what it all means!). But I get excitement when I read it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Can't wait to hear about what you can't talk about yet!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It way more exciting when it's clouded in secrecy. Trust me.

      Delete

Comments are welcome and appreciated!