Thursday, May 30, 2013

WIP IT!

Today I am participating in a blog hop where writer peeps share their current Work in Progress or WIP.  You can read all about it here.

WIP It Title:  Death Becomes Us

Word Count: 87, 685 and it will probably be a wee bit longer.

Genre: Memoir

How long have I been working on it?  I started my research in January of 2009.

Elevator Pitch:  Death Becomes Us is a humorous quest narrative based on a personal fear.  Think Eat, Pray, Love, but Death, Dying and Grief.

Brief Synopsis:
    After an accidental call to a funeral home in my first month of grad school, I reluctantly embarked on a journey to explore death professions for my thesis. During my two years of research, I encountered an embalmer afraid of dying, a grieving EMT, an upbeat grief counselor, and a hopeful death row inmate.  My narrative arc follows me from avoidance and fear to eventual immersion and acceptance. Emotionally I went from grieving at a funeral for my cigarettes to crying over a dead man’s body just minutes after his execution.  Although I am not an expert on death, nor was I dying while writing this memoir, I realized the importance of surrendering to the idea of death to fully live the life we are given.  The result of this quirky trip is Death Becomes Us, a humorous and at times heartbreaking memoir about what happens when a socially anxious, middle-aged, woman attempts to investigate the last taboo of American culture. 

I would love a Beta Reader, especially if memoir is your thing.

25 comments:

  1. This sounds really interesting. There's a real art to taking such a serious subject and making it funny, and even in your brief synopsis I can see you're able to do that. It takes a lot of the darkness away from the subject and makes it a lot more accessible.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. It's definitely not a laugh riot, but there is humor.

      Delete
  2. I agree with Kate. I'd beta for you but I don't even read memoir so doubt I'd have much to offer. Best of luck with it, it sounds awesome!

    Shah X

    http://bit.ly/115vOR8

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's one of the biggest topics you can cover, isn't it? Sounds like a very interesting read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it is, but I'm just a little biased:)

      Delete
  4. This sounds like a fascinating concept and deeply personal. I'm tempted to be a Beta, but I'm already over-committed. Good luck with it!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow. That's crazy. People who work with the dead but are afraid of death? I wonder how they got tied to the profession to begin with.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That was the embalmer I met. He started working in a funeral home to get over his fear of death.

      Delete
  6. Pamela, very impressive how you have pulled together your book's subject into such an intriguing, concise capsule. I am very excited to see the progress you are making and I look forward to seeing it published soon! I think I am too biased to be a beta reader but I know there is someone out there who can experience it with a fresh, unsuspecting, Jane Public mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Memoir has never been my thing, but this sounds like it has promise. Good luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Huge topic death - but sounds like you've got a good mix of sadness and humour. Good luck with it :)
    Suzanne @ Suzannes Tribe

    ReplyDelete
  9. This sounds great. Everyone is afraid of death, at least a little bit, so I think you will find a market for the memoir.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Sounds fascinating! I am currently working on the curriculum for a palliative care course (day job), so I have read a lot of books like this lately. This one sounds really great.

    Tim
    The Other Side blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cool/unique concept! I like tragic comedies.

    ReplyDelete
  12. This is a unique and fascinating premise. Best of luck with it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. You know I'm here for you Pamela; I'll definitely beta read it for you. I can get on it within a couple of days as the time is a teeny bit slack for me right now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Awww, Jim, you're the best. I am still working on the second half, but I'll send you 150 pages.

      Delete
  14. Wow - your book sounds like an amazing read! I have thought a lot about death as well, but I'm not sure that I am quite resigned to it just yet. Maybe more so than a lot of other people though. :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sounds like a very intriguing memoir!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to read it again. I'm sure it's changed a lot since our long-ago writers' group. I am already emotionally attached to your book, though.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated!