Saturday, April 6, 2013

F is for...

Fans

Yesterday, I went to go see the opening day game for the Texas Rangers in Arlington.  My husband and I love baseball and the three years that we've lived in Texas, the Rangers have gone to the World Series twice.  We've been to several games, but we're usually seated in the cheap-o nosebleed section.  But not today.  These tickets were gifted to him and they were SWEET.


But, and there's always a but.  We were seated very near Josh Hamilton in the right field.  Josh Hamilton used to play for the Rangers but he left for the Angels after last season.  Mr. Hamilton had this to say about his time in Texas...

"Texas, especially Dallas, has always been a football town. The good with the bad is they're supportive, but they also got a little spoiled at the same time, pretty quickly. You can understand a really true, true baseball town. There's true baseball fans in Texas but it's not a true baseball town."

So, this did not sit well with Ranger fans.  They loved Josh Hamilton.  He was a player that could knock a ball out of the park and when he was good, he was really, really good.  But when he was bad, he liked to blame it on Red Bull and quitting nicotine and stuff like that.  Oh, Josh.  The mere mortals of the world who don't make millions of dollars have to do that humdrum/icky no fun stuff all the time and we still have to show up and do our best.

So, here you were, Josh, back in Texas.  And boy did the forty-eight thousand fans at today's game vocalize their dislike for you.


I didn't boo.  Or call him a traitor or bring up his drug and alcohol addictions.  I merely clapped when we struck him out.  I know why people feel the way they do about him, but I didn't want to focus on the negative.  I was enjoying the sun on my face, the bacon wrapped hot dog and a day with my husband at a ball game.  

Are you a baseball fan?  Who's your team?

16 comments:

  1. GO Giants! We have some real characters playing for the Giants -it's such a boost to the community when so many locals are sharing and affinity for a team!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you do. When I lived in SF, I went to a few games. It's funny, but SF is probably the only place where people are bundled up for a game in July.

      Delete
  2. LOVE baseball and I miss seeing my Atlanta Braves. I lived in Atlanta for nine years and they had a sucky team for all nine. The year I moved away was the first year they made it to the playoffs and began their run of consecutive post-season appearances. But I'm not bitter...nope...not at all! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does suck. The Rangers lost some good players this year, but it looks like the new ones are going to do just fine.

      Delete
  3. You're a good luck charm and need to move to the greater Boston area so the Red Sox will win the series again!

    Isn't it amazing how these players are so careless with what they say? They have no clue. We had a great player who came to Boston for one season and then went back. I forget his name, but he was very gracious.

    Obviously he hated it here to leave after less than one season, but he complimented the team and the fans and just plain admitted his original team was his home and heart. Fans appreciated that honesty and could related because that's how we feel about our team.

    Boston fans often give stand O's to favorite players who come for a series with their new team if they played hard while they were here and left graciously.

    Some year I'd love to make it to spring training in Florida.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Red Sox now have one of my favorite players, Mike Napoli. He has heart and I hope that when the Sox come here, they don't boo him like they did with Hamilton. I don't think they will because he hasn't made any remarks to put down the Rangers.

      I am DONE with moving anywhere. My brother lived in Boston for many years and I used to visit him. Wonderful town, but I don't think I could handle driving there.

      My hubby drives a truck and he stopped at spring training for a Ranger game in Florida. He was practically seated next to Nolan Ryan in the best seats he's even seen a game. You should do it!

      Delete
  4. Oh, no one will boo Napoli. He has kept his mouth shut, I think. RANGERS! RANGERS! RANGERS! Glad you got to be there for opening day. It was a great day all around!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fun, but I think it would have been better if I hadn't been surrounded by the loudest "haters" in the stadium. It didn't help that we were in right field within shouting distance of Hamilton.

      Delete
  5. So jealous that you got to go. Well deserved by all of Erik's hard work, though! Just wish the nasty, drunk fans would stay home in their barkaloungers and let the rest of us in enjoy a beautiful day at the ballpark.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, it was a bit much. There was a lot written about Hamilton's reception at the game in the press. He said he wouldn't take his comment back but was glad he inspired so much passion at the game, or something like that.

      Delete
  6. There is something so electric about being part of a crowd at such events. So glad your enjoyment wasn't ruined by the negativity of the others around you, though.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, that was part of the problem. The crowd was electric, but it was negative. It was still a good day though.

      Delete
  7. Bacon wrapped hot dog? I've never had one of them? Was it good? Might have to try that.

    Since I'm focusing on the hot dog, you may guess I'm not a baseball fan. I've been to maybe 2 professional games and a handful of lower league stuff, but it's just not for me.

    The only team I really like is whatever one my son plays on. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was pretty good. Would I make a bacon wrapped hot dog at home? Probably not. Too much work. Those people at the stadium were making a killing. I think they were $9 each.

      Both of my kids are not athletically inclined, so I have nothing to root for but getting first chair in band or reading medals:)

      Delete
  8. Baseball games are so much fun. We try to catch an Orioles/Yankees game at least once each season up at Camden Yard. What a wonderful stadium and it's not like going to the Bronx where you have to pay with your youngest child to see a game it's so expensive for the crappiest seats.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Seats are pretty reasonable here in Texas at baseball games--football games, not so much.

      Delete

Comments are welcome and appreciated!