Monday, August 13, 2012

Tuesday Movie: Scream


Yep, this is the first time I've ever had a horror film as one of my selections, because let's face it, horror films are chock full of death.  And, well, they're kind of violent and scary.  So, why did I pick Scream? Here's a fun bit of trivia for ya... I was an extra in it.  I played a high school student when I was 26 and I appear onscreen for about three seconds in all my paranoid glory.

Why paranoid?  Well, it was a huge scene and we were just supposed to walk or mill about in front of the high school.  After about two takes a frantic production assistant tapped me on the arm and said, "You keep blocking Neve."  I'm like okay.  I had no idea who Neve was.  So I walked really slowly and carefully in the next shot.

I hung out with an older woman for most of the day.  Her daughter was working on the film and she introduced me to Wes Craven.  That was pretty cool.

So, have you ever been an extra in a film?  Seen Scream?  I'm not a huge fan of that genre, but I think the first film was pretty good.  They killed off the star, Drew Barrymore, in the first ten minutes.  Because of that move, we knew that no one was safe.

9 comments:

  1. What fun! I don't believe I've ever seen it, but now I believe I will since your in it. I think these types of movies are just plain fun. Sadly, I've never been an extra in a movie myself.

    I'm of the movie Carrie generation. Remember Sissy Specek with a bucket of blood emptying on her head on prom night. I remember screaming my head off with a dozen of my closest friends from high school at the movie theater. There's something about bonding with friends while being scared to death :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think they've done some studies about seeing scary movies and bonding, but I could be wrong.
      This is definitely a fun movie. It's scary and the violence isn't too graphic or disturbing, which is why I stopped watching horror flicks.

      Delete
  2. Interesting. I stay away from horror movies though. I like sleeping at nights. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, me too. I've been watching Shark Week on the Discovery Channel and it's about as scary as any horror movie out there.

      Delete
  3. I would watch a scary movie over an action film. But both genres don't do anything for me.
    I've met many folks in the movie biz. Some mega famous and other faceless support. But never have been in front of the camera. It's kewl to be able to say that you have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's fun to say that I've been in a few films, but I would not say that the actual filming was fun. It was mostly sitting around all day.

      Delete
  4. I can't deal with horror movies at all - I'm the biggest wimp ever - but I do think it is FANTASTIC that you were an extra in Scream...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since my big Hollywood moment was only three seconds, I've got another 14 minutes and 57 seconds of fame left!

      Delete
  5. I haven't seen Scream simply because that kind of movie doesn't appeal to me. I like the old fashioned Alfred Hitchcock type horror films. That being said, I reckon I'll have to drag Scream out so I can look for you in it! My Companion adores that kind of movie, so I'm sure he has it here.

    My Uncle was a stuntman in Hollywood for many years, so I was fortunate enough to meet a few movie stars, most notably, the immortal John Wayne! I had a bit part in a movie being filmed here in Jordan last year. I even had lines! It was great fun, but as you mentioned, it was also a LOT of sitting around and waiting...

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated!