Tuesday, May 8, 2012

A video: "It Could Happen To You"

Today I am posting a video that I saw on a friend's Facebook feed because I think it's important to share this.  Yes, it is about death, but it's also about love and equality and life.  But, I'm going to be honest here.  I was too scared to post this on my Facebook feed.  Why?  Well, I guess I'm a wimp.  And I know that some of my "friends" don't feel the same way about this issue.  According to a poll I saw today, only 50% of American's support gay marriage.  Like Joe Biden, I am for it.  If someone finds another person that they love and want to commit their lives to, who cares if it is a person of the same sex? What's all the fear all about?  That there won't be enough towels or dinnerware at Target for Bridal registries? About 10% of the population is gay.  Seeing the word gay does not make you gay.  Seeing two men hold hands does not make you gay.  Watching this video does not make you gay, but it might make you more enlightened to the human condition.

So, here's the video.  I encourage you to watch it.

17 comments:

  1. Thank you for sharing that video, Pamela! It's important. A video like this offers the chance to step past opinion and religion and get to know someone's personal experience.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. It is important and I'm a firm believer in sharing personal experience to change public opinion.
      Thanks for commenting!

      Delete
  2. Heartbreaking. People are people regardless of whom they fall in love with. It's so sad that Tom's parents preferred his death over his life choices.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it was heartbreaking that a parent would act that way towards their child and towards the person their child loved.

      Delete
    2. Wow. I completely agree and even after watching it a dozen times couldn't articulate that point. Wonderful perspective, Linda!

      Delete
    3. My cousin told me a story about a guy he grew up with in a very small town in North Dakota. His parents basically disowned him after finding out he was gay. His parents removed all pictures and momentos from his life and tried to pretend that he never existed. To me that is so messed up.

      Delete
  3. In the A/Z challenge my Letter G post was on gay rights. I live in a progressive part of NorCal and LGBT lifestyle is well embraced. I am the advisor of the GSA (Gay Straight Alliance) at my middle school. I am hoping that such tolerance can develop a new generation who can look beyond the harshness of non acceptance. Thanks for posting.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm gonna go check out your post! And thank you for commenting.

      Delete
  4. I'm always interested in what you have to say :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Well, sometimes I'm full of BS, but I save that for my facebook page:)

      Delete
  5. I am so in awe of this boy for making this amazing video! I was so lucky when my late companion died. His family had accepted me completely. Even now, more then twenty years later, I am still ashamed that my own family did not accept him, or us as a committed couple. I worry about such events being repeated in my life as I age. The last thing I want is to have my family hurt the one I love most on earth any more than they already have.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Since you live outside the country, I don't know if you heard on the news, but President Obama said he supports gay marriage in the United States. It was a pretty big day for civil rights here. Granted, North Carolina banned it, and it didn't pass in Colorado, but we're moving in the right direction.
      I'm sorry your family doesn't accept the one you love. It's their loss.

      Delete
  6. How heartbreaking. Thanks for sharing it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome. And thanks for commenting.

      Delete
  7. Sad. Regardless of sexual orientation, two people living together, loving each other should be more responsible and predictable. No life insurance? No will? Is not the government or "other" people to blame.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are welcome and appreciated!