Wednesday, April 25, 2012

W is for...

WHEN?

As in the big when. (You know.  When you, yes you, are going to die.) I'd bet a dollar that if you are relatively healthy and under forty you haven't given your own personal "when" much thought.  If you're anything like me, you think your when will happen way off in the future, like at the age of ninety-nine-and-a-half.  We've all seen the t-shirt or the card or the saying...
 

But really, how many of us actually do that?  I don't know about you, but if it really was my last day, I would  go do something totally kick ass.  So what is preventing me from donning a superhero outfit and fighting crime  for a day or bungee jumping off a really tall bridge?

Fear.

Yep, fear.  Because what if it really wasn't my last day?  What if I get thrown in the slammer doing something stupid like wearing a superhero costume outside of the Wells Fargo waiting for someone to rob it?  Or for bungee jumping off that really tall bridge and I break my leg and I've got a $5000 deductible on my insurance and no money to pay for the emergency room visit?  Then what?

I'll tell you what.  You'll have fun and you'll have a story to tell.  (Speaking of stories to tell, have you heard of Story Corps? Check it out!) Some of my best experiences have come out of facing a fear.  And if you quiet your mind and think about it for a moment, I know you are afraid of something.  It could be flying, talking to that one person who really makes your heart race or going to the movies alone.  But there's something.  The only way to get over a fear is to go through it.

Okay, okay, maybe your not a total wimp like me.  Maybe you're one of those super brave types who is over forty and has no fear of attending a movie like Twilight by themselves among mostly squealing teenage girls.  

So, what haven't you done that you're dying to do? 
Jump out of a plane?  Run with the bulls?  Cage dive with sharks?  Eat pastries in Paris?  Audition for American Idol?  Whatever it is, write it down, or better yet go here and do it online.

Or share it here.  I love to see what people are dying to do.
I'll start.  I want to jump on Oprah Winfrey's couch.

Okay, now you go.

16 comments:

  1. I quit my job to become a full-time writer. That was a big one right there.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is a big one. When I moved to Texas, I couldn't find a full time job after almost a year of looking. I decided that the piddly part-time job was not worth it--gas, dry cleaning, etc. So, now I stay home and write. I'm not getting paid to do it, but I feel like a writer. Hopefully very soon, I'll get an acceptance in my email.

      Delete
    2. I live in Chicago. I couldn't do this without my husband's support. I don't make enough to support myself in Chicago. If I weren't married, I'd have to move to someplace where the cost of living is low. They say you can live in Costa Rica on $1000 a month. I could do that. LOL!

      Delete
    3. There are small little towns in America where one can live on 1k a month if you like Ramen noodles:)

      Delete
  2. Wow, I'm not sure... I'd love to do a tour of Europe with my hubby and hit all the huge music festivals! That would ROCK! ~ Angela, Whole Foods Living, http://www.wholefoodsliving.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That does sound fun. I've only been once and I mostly ate and looked at art.

      Delete
  3. Pam, I actually did think about the WHEN when I was around 35. I thought, "If I only had a few months to live, what would I do?" My answer: "I would ask Oprah to publish my book."

    Seriously. Then I thought, "I don't need Oprah for that. I can do it myself."

    And that's how I ended up self-publishing my first book. True story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. good for you! I may go in the self publishing direction. We'll see.

      Delete
  4. After spending as much quality time as I could with my loved ones, I'd probably do something as unoriginal as jumping out of a plane...as long as it was piloted by my hero, Bruce Dickinson. :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I jumped out of a plane on April 2, 1998 at Skydance in California. A week later, I went back to take my boyfriend. I wasn't able to jump because the sky was too cloudy. A week later, the guy I did my jump with died.
      http://articles.latimes.com/1998/apr/20/news/mn-41214
      I will say this, I have never felt more alive than I did on April 2 1998. That night I went to see Radiohead in San Francisco and it was like my best day ever. Would I jump again? Probably not.

      Delete
  5. Wow, what a story! How horrible for the 2 victims. 2 chutes failed - what are the chances of that? My husband jumped about 15 years ago. I remember him showing up at my apartment after and he was so pumped up. He said the same thing - he had never felt more alive, totally exhilarating, but ask him now and he says he probably wouldn't do it again. One of the guys on his jump, the camera guy I think, also died jumping a few years later. Dangerous job...!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, the chutes both failed and then they opened at the same time and got tangled. At least that's what I remember.

      Delete
  6. Hopefully not soon, and hopefully not painfully (but if you gotta go, the pain will end eventually, right?) Glad to have found your blog! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, thanks for stopping by, commenting and following! As Woody Allen once said, "I'm not afraid of death, I just don't want to be there when it happens."

      Delete
  7. Sadly, I think about this all the time. What if this were my last day/week/month/year? and I know some things I would do but, they all involve leaving my job. And that is not such a practical thing to do since likely I will be around tomorrow and next week and next month and even next year -- ugh. Leaving my job means no income and that can't be. WAAAA!
    Unti I read your post, I really wanted to go skydiving. I still do but I am more scared now. Before I wasn't really thinking at all of chutes failing and all that. I was just imagining the freedom.
    Now? I'm scared.
    Thanks for always posting!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't let my experience deter you. Yes, there is risk involved. But so is stepping out the door in the morning. I will say this, flying through the air was one of the most awesome experiences of my life. Yes, people die. But more people die on their way to work than jumping out of a plane. I say go for it. It's an unforgettable experience that I think everyone should do at least once in their life.

      Delete

Comments are welcome and appreciated!